• Sign up in our newsletter


  • Sign up in our newsletter

Photo gallery

Architecture legacy

"Cryssalis" Goumeniisa

This is an impressive rectangular building of the early 20th century, from the late 20s and it served as a silk factory of the company 'CHRYSALLIS ", which was located in Piraeus, for more than half a century. The factory is one of the few examples of silk industriesoperating in the country. It still holds most of its equipment and remains privately owned until now. Ithasbeenclassifiedasaprotectedmonument.


"Salats" Fountain

One of the few ornamental samples left over from the Ottoman past of the city is the stone fountain situated in the eastern ring road of Kilkis. This square construction made of carved stones that,in its main face, form a pointed arch.

The fountain was built in 1821 according to the wall plate above the spout, which bears an inscription in Arabic characters that translates as follows: "In the name of the Highest God –pray for the builders of this fountain." The inscription bears a date under the old Turkish calendar, i.e. 1199 year Hijra, which is converted to 1821 AC, according to the Christian calendar.


Conservatory Neoclassical Building

According its French legend, the building was constructed in 1853. It operated as a Catholic abbey of nuns, becoming the core of Catholics and Unites, who lived in Kilkis before its liberation in 1913.

In 1915 the headquarters of the allied troops was settled here, whilethe building was renovated in 1993 and has since been operated as a conservatory of the Metropolis of Kilkis.


Neoclassical Building of the Chamber of Kilkis

This building was built in 1925 and operated for about 60 years as a branch of the National Bank of Greecein Kilkis. Then, it became the property of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Kilkis, which was housed in the building after renovation. The building is designated as a landmark from the Fourth Mansion of Modern Monuments.


Old Prefecture Building

During the time that the headquarters of the Kaza of the Ottoman Empire was transferred from Gynaikokastro (AvretHissar) to Kilkis, theCommand Center was built by French engineers. As such, it continued to operate after 1913 and during the German occupation, when the German garrison headquarters was moved here. After the liberation and up until 1978 the services of the Prefecture were housed here. The building is classified as a monument and is intended to be a gallery and a history file house.


Old School of Goumenissa

It is one of the most impressive buildings preserved in Goumenissa, built in the late 19thcentury. The building functioned as a school of the Greek Orthodox community of the city, while from 1920 it was named theFirst Primary School of Goumenissa. As such, it operated until the mid-80s, when the Town Hall moved here, after it was renovated.


Ottoman Bath of Sheikh Effendi Seit

This is one of the few surviving monuments of Ottoman architecture. The Ottoman bath is located in the center of Kilkis, at the intersection of Thessalonikis and N. Panagiotou streets. It is isolated, blocked from various other buildings and only its central dome stands out.

The bath was a place of social intercourse.

The Bath has a rectangular plan with a small footprint. The great room is square and it ends in a hemispherical dome with six rows of openings where the light was coming from. The openings are octagons witha peripheral device. There are four other smaller halls: a warm hall, two hot halls and a service room that its dome has been destroyed. TheBathstoppedoperatingaround 1960.


Tobacco Warehouse of the Austrian-Greek Tobacco Company

The building of the Austrian-Greek tobacco warehouse is located on N.Panagiotou 50 Street in the city of Kilkis. It has been declared by the Ministry of Culture as a historic monument and a work of art, while its construction dates back to 1920.

The building was restored in 2014 and it serves as an exhibition venue having hosted exhibitions on the history of tobacco and several other exhibitions, including jewelry, pottery, children's painting, adult painting etc.


Tobacoo Warehouses

Two storey buildings, rectangular with many openings, built with stone and wood, the warehouses have historical, architectural and cultural value. Their interior was unified. In the first floors the unprocessed tobacco was stored. The lounges were on the higher floors and here men and women processed the tobacco during daylight.

Tobacco Warehouse of this period were those of:TheocharisTantanasis, StefanosStefanidis,Austrian-Greek(Ziogas),Vogiatzi brothers,Ambatzis, the Moskovtobacco merchant house, DemetriosTsitsimis and PaulosSidipopoulos. Large companies that associated with Kilkis were the Greek-British Commercial, the German Spirer and Renima and the Misirian.


Twin Tobacco Warehouss in Kilkis

The "Twin Tobacco Warehouses" are two identical,in their architectural elements, buildings in downtown Kilkis; built in the late 19th or early 20th century, they functioned as warehouses until the liberation of the city in 1913. Since then and until about ten years ago, they housed forces and services of the Greek army. Occasionally, these buildings hosted refugee families.

In August 1913 the refugees from Stromnitsa lived here. After 1922 the 13th Infantry Regiment was settled here. In 1943 "antartopliktoi" moved here and during the civil war it operated as a short-term detention prison. Later, it housed the military service of the 6th Division.


Experienced Offers

Log in

create an account