• Sign up in our newsletter


  • Sign up in our newsletter

Photo gallery

Religion monuments

Agios Dimitrios Axioupolis

Axioupoliis connected during its history with the church of St. Demetrios. The church dates back to the 16th century and is a typical specimen of post-Byzantine ecclesiastical architecture with rich hagiographic decoration. Today in the town operates the new church of St. Demetrios, which is built next to the old one and impresses with its grandeur.


Chapel of Prophet Elias

This is a three-aisled basilica which was built in 1920 by the refugees who had settled in Kilkis. It is linked to the establishment of the refugee population in the city and bringsback memories of the time of exile.

The church was renovated in 1968 with the help of believers and of the Municipality of Kilkis.


Church of Saint George in Kilkis

On the hill of St. George in Kilkis, one canvisit the preserved post-Byzantine church, built around 1830, probably in the location of an older church. The church of St. George is a three-aisled large basilica. The building has two entrances. It is built out of marble, while it is decorated with sculpted dragons (or lions) which should be regarded as the protectors of the temple. At the same time, a cross indicates the Christian sanctity of the place. In the temple there are three aisles, dedicated respectively to SaintAnargyros, Saint Dimitrios and Saint Georgios. 

The interior maintains its original decor, while the wooden screen is painted and some of the images are the work of painters from Kolakia. The painted ceilings dating from 1879, hold a dominant place in the interior, in which the geometric shapes are formed by thin forearms and decorated with floral motifs.

 The temple is painted with vases with rich bouquets or cypress (a sacred tree) and pomegranate (the symbol of abundance). Around the pulpit, the four Evangelists are depicted. The earliest image of St. George is located in the shrine and it datesback to 1832. The morphological features and the decoration of St. George are representative samples of Macedonian ecclesiastical architecture and the art of the 19th century.


Church of St. Athanasious in Griva

Built in 1801 in the village Griva, which was inhabited since 817, the church was saved when the village was burned by the Turks on October 15, 1912.

This basilica, whose floors were originally made with dolomite stonethat is abundant in Paiko, and over the years they were replaced by marble slabs. The site of the temple is illuminated by side windows and a series of windows above the sanctuary.The nave is covered by a gabled (saddleback) wooden roof with central elevation, while the side aisles with a sloping wooden roof.

Interesting frescoes are preserved inside the church, although only the painting of the female side of the temple was saved.

Griva is just 5 km awayfrom Goumenissa and it is a picturesque village where the oldest buildings have a fortifyingnature with a stone perimeter wall, which testifies to the character of the area during the previous years.


Church of the Assumption Of Virgin Mary in Drosato

A beautiful and picturesque church, dating back to the early 19th century is the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Drosato. Built out of stone, it is a post-Byzantine church and it operates as a museum of Byzantine iconographyin the recent years, hosting amazing copies of the iconographic treasure of Mount Athos.


Church Ruins in Palaio Gynaikokastro and Koromilia

In PalaioGynaikokastrothere is a post-Byzantine church of the early 19th century, dedicated to Saint John the Martyr or Nannos. However, the church, along with the memory of the aforementionedmartyr honorsthat of St.Parthenomartyros Theodosia. The church was built before 1835, despite the fact that the tombstone indicates the year 1838. Even older it is believed to be the church in Koromilia, the ruins of which were found on a farm dating back to 14thor 15thcentury.


Monastery of Panagia (Virgin Mary) in Goumenissa

The Holy Monastery of Panagia in Goumenissa is one of the most important monasteries in Macedonia while historically it constituted the largest religious center of the region throughout the period of Ottoman rule (1430-1912).

Furthermore,around the monastery, the homonymous small town was built which is the seat of the newly established (since 1991 AC) Metropolis ofGoumenissa, Axioupoli&Polykastro.

The church of Panagiain Goumenissawith its miraculous icon is located in the town of Goumenissa and is worth the visit.

It is believed that it was a Catholic monastery, which during the 14th century was given to the Monastery of Mount Athos. The present church was built in 1802. The temple was renovated in 1837, while in the 19th century it was extended to the west. Inside the church, which belongs to the type of three aisle basilica with polygonal apse sanctuary of carved stone, there is a great wooden set (box temple altar, shrine).

On the shrine the miraculous image of the Virgin Mary is placed, which makes the temple an important religious center.


Monastery of St.Nikodimos of Mount Athos in Goumenissa

In one of the most beautiful slopes of Paikoat an altitude of about 700 meters and 7 km from Goumenissa, over the village Pentalofo, the Monastery of St. Nicodimos of Mount Athos is located.

The monastery is a glebe of the Holy Monastery of SimonosPetras of Mount Athos, it has a dependency and similarities with it. The creation and development of the Monastery of Saint Nicodimoswas reached with inspiration, visions and the labored effort of the Abbot Archimandrite Chrysostomos and the original three-member youth group who framed him. In 1981 the Catholic of the monastery -Central church- was erected in the presence of three Metropolitans.It is a church dedicated to St. Nicodimos (the ground segment is dedicated to Saints Raphael, Nicholaos and Irene). 

There, it was transferred for the first time outside Mount Athos, the sacred skull of St. Nicodimos of Mount Athos, the patron of the monastery, a great personality of the modern Greeks, a prolific ecclesiastical writer of the 18th and 19th century. St. Nicodimos of Mount Athos was from Naxos and he served as a wise teacher and scholar during the Ottoman rule, the doctrine of the enslaved Greeks whose books nourished spiritually generations of Greeks, insulated and protected them from two serious risks of that era, Islamization and Latinization.


Saint George of Metalliko - Chorygi-AgiaParaskeui

Saint George ofMetalliko is an earlier church thanSt. George in Kilkis, dating back to 1821. Its pictorial decoration is attributed to the family of the painter Zosimafrom Kolakia (todayHalastra). A little further,in Chorygi, there is a post-Byzantine church of Saint George, which dates back to 1805.

One more historic church of St. George, which dates back to 1800, is located in the village of AgiaParaskeui at the foot of Mount Belles. Characterized by the rich interior decoration, in which the traditional iconography of the early 19thcentury dominates.


Saint John’s Church in Kolchida

A church that dates back to the Byzantine Empire is that of St. John, in the village of Colchida, a few kilometers south of Kilkis, on the eastern shore of Gallikos River. The frescoes of the church belong to the 12thcentury. 

The small three-aisled church was built on the hill opposite of the village, while the hermitage began to work in the cave of ZoodohouPigis (the Life Giving Fountain), located on the west side of the fortified hill. More beautiful small churches, more than a century old, which are worth visiting are those of: the Holy Trinity in Kato Theodorakiof Kroussia and John the Baptist Church, which is located in Eleftherohoriin the municipality of Herso.


Sanctuary Retreat of Saint George in Anydro,Goumenissa

In the ruins of the deserted settlement of Anydro, in a quiet hilly area centered aroundthe old church of St. George, the visitor can see the sacred retreat of St. George, which was founded in August 1991 and is relatively self-contained with a high superintendence from the Bishop of Goumenissa.

The human power of the retreat is 10 nuns. The church, a classic basilica was built between 1800 and 1830 and retains a highly valued Byzantine decor with wood carvings and images of the era on its temple and roof. The complex of the monastery also houses the new church Panagiaof Paramythia with two chapels. There also operates a two storey guesthouse with two rooms, an exhibition of images and artifacts from the nuns and a room for accommodation and food. The new wing includes the workshops and the nuns’ cells.

The nunnery of Anydrois also nearby, which makes for an interesting pilgrimage.


Experienced Offers

Log in

create an account